Saturday, April 20, 2013

Vellarikkai Poricha Kootu / Cucumber Kootu


Cucumber is once of the vegetable which contains 96% of water content and also helps to control blood pressure, and a good food for weight watchers because of its low calories.

For some reasons I don’t like the cucumber salad, my husband love to have that any time. so I always try to make this kootu for adding cucumber in my meal. I don’t know how many for you know about cucumber fruit the yellow color cucumber, I have tasted it during my childhood days in my grandpa’s farm it use to taste great that too with sugar.

Coming to today’s recipe kootu is combination of dal and vegetables with spice. We can use white pumpkin, squash, chow chow (chayote), spinach, cabbage, etc.
 

Ingredients:

Bengal gram dal
½ cup
Cucumber cubed
3 cups
Salt
 
To grind:
 
Cumin seeds
½ tsp
Urad dal
1 tsp
Split Chana dal
1 tsp
Coconut grated
¼ cup
Dry red chili
2-3
To Temper:
 
Oil
1 tsp
Mustard seeds
1 tsp
 
 
 


 

Directions:

  1. Boil 1 ½ cup water in a pan, when it starts to boil add dal cook with few drops of oil until the dal is  soft and tender (but not mushy).
  2. Mean time heat a teaspoon of oil in another pan, splutter cumin seeds, add urad dal ans split channa dal, dry red chili and roast until golden brown finally add coconut and turn of the stove. Allow it to cool and grind to fine paste using little water.
  3. Once the dal is cooked add cubed cucumber and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add ground paste and salt, mix well and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
  4. Heat a teaspoon of oil and splutter mustard seeds and curry leaves and add to the kootu and serve with hot rice.
Note:
  • When cooking dal, if you need more water add hot water.
  • After adding cucumber, don’t cook for longtime or else it will dissolve.

15 comments:

The Pumpkin Farm said...

a new recipe for me, must try

Priya Suresh said...

I hate this kootu earlier, but now its my favourite, delicious poricha kootu.

Unknown said...

I made this today and it turned out super tasty!!!

Corporate to Kitchen said...

I love kootu & this recipe is so simple & delicious

Unknown said...

I add bottle gourd and ridge gourd to the dal but never thought of cucumber. Nice one.

Archana said...

Looks yum. Somehow I have never made kootus seems like a good time to start now.

Harini R said...

Love this variation of kootu.

sujitha said...

Yummy kootu.....

Srivalli said...

Nice and simple for a side dish with rotis..good one..

Pavani said...

Interesting dish with cucumber.. Will try soon.

vaishali sabnani said...

koot is something that I have eaten many times, but never cooked..this one looks good.

Nalini's Kitchen said...

Simple yet delicious and comforting kootu..

veena said...

My daughter loves poricha kootu. This looks very delicious

Suma Gandlur said...

Yummy, comforting kootu.

Rajani S said...

Koottu is comfort food!