Friday, April 12, 2013

Cholam (Sorgham/Jowar) Muruku

Today I am going to share my grandma recipe, cholam muruku this is one of the main savory for pongal in my grandma’s place. My dad always says when eating muruku we need to hear “karaku muruku” noise, my grandma’s muruku will be like that. This is the first time I am trying this even though it was not exactly like my grandmas it turned very close. In actual recipe they use to soak rice and grind with chili to fine paste but I tried with rice flour.

Ingredients:


Rice flour
2 cups
Cholam mavu/ Sorgham flour
1 cup
Butter
2 Tbsp
Asafetida
a pinch
Sesame seeds
½ Tbsp
Salt
as needed
 
 

 

Directions:

  1. Mix all ingredients except butter and add water little by little and mix well like a dough, finally add butter and mix well. The dough should not be too loose or tight it should be easy to press.
  2. Heat oil for frying, using the three or five hole muruku mold, make small muruku’s and deep fry them in hot oil until brown on both sides.
 
 
Tip:
  • Don’t use start or other thick molds wont cook and chances for busting.
  • I didn’t add chili powder if you need you might add.


15 comments:

Babitha said...

Very healthy,neatly done

Pavani said...

I didn't know that you can make Muruku with sorghum flour. Sounds interesting and delicious.

vaishali sabnani said...

Interesting! Would love to try this variety of sev...nice one!

Unknown said...

Tempting murukku recipe :) I can have this all day

Unknown said...

Never had this murukku. But it looks so crunchy and so nice it has come out.

Srivalli said...

I love any type of muruku and this surely is a healthy one with different flours added..looks very crispy..

Priya Suresh said...

Crunchy munchy murukkus looks wonderful, quite addictive.

The Pumpkin Farm said...

i like jowar in fried recipes as i lends a nice flavor, would love to try these murukkus i think they will be less stronger than the rice based

Unknown said...

I always like murrukus made from any flour. Crispy delights make up for simple pleasures in life :)

Archana said...

Healthy one. Since my kids do not eat jowar th eregular way this is welcome.

sujitha said...

Interesting healthy snack....

Rajani S said...

Thats an interesting addition of jowar there. The murukku looks perfect..

Harini R said...

Good one! I also make this sometimes.

veena said...

Oh!!!This is so new to me. We make only roti with jowar. This looks so healthy

Suma Gandlur said...

Looks crunchy and delicious. I had no idea that sorghum flour can be used to make chaklis.