Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Chettinad Chicken Gravy


In Tamil Nadu food there are lot of cuisines, each district has its uniqueness, in that way chettinad is one of the famous cuisines. It is very famous for non vegetarian spice foods, and today I am going to share the famous chettinad chicken. I always love to cook authentic foods than fusion, I always asks my mom for more traditional ones. Since my root of origin is not around this chettinad I really don’t know more about the originality. One of my good friends is from chettinad but she is vegetarian I came to know lot from here, still for non vegetarians I use to search and found Solai Achi’s I have tried a lot of recipes and recently I tried this.

Ingredients:


Chicken with bone
1 lb
Onion
2 medium size
Tomatoes
2 medium size
Garlic
4-5 pods
Bay leaves
2
Mint leaves
one handful
Coriander leaves
One handful
Curry leaves
few
Fennel seeds
1 tsp
To Grind Group 1
 
Onion
One handful
Ginger
1 inch
Garlic
5-6 pods
Chili powder
1 ½ Tbsp
Coriander powder
2 Tbsp
Cinnamon
1 inch
Clove
2-3
To Grind Group 2
 
Coconut grated
¼ cup
Cashew nut
5
Fennel seeds
1 tsp
To marinate
 
Chili powder
1 tsp
Salt
1 tsp
Ginger garlic paste
1 tsp
Curd
2 Tbsp
 
 
 

 

Directions:

  1. After cleaning marinate the chicken with ingredients under marinate, allow it to rest for one hour.
  2. Heat two to three tablespoon oil, add bay leaves and fennel seeds once it cracks add onion and sauté them for a minute.
  3. Add chopped mint, coriander and curry leaves cook until onion turns transparent.
  4. Next add chopped garlic and again sauté for raw smell leaves. Then add chopped tomatoes and cook until soft.
  5. Add the grinded paste under group 1, sauté for another 2-3 minutes or until raw smell leaves.
  6. Add the marinated chicken and mix well until masala coats well all over. When chicken starts to leave water close the lid and cook for 15 minutes on medium flame.
  7. When chicken is almost cooked, add the grind paste in group 2 and cook for another 5 -8 minutes.
  8. Turn off the stove and garnish with some coriander leaves and curry leaves. And serve with roti, rice, dosa etc.
Note:
  • I reduced the amount of garlic from original recipe but still I personally felt its little more. If you don’t like garlic flavor then don’t add for grinding.
  • It tastes great after 7-8 hours of cooking.
Sharing to:Kitchen Chronicles
 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Perfect curry for rotis.

Nithya said...

There is a award waiting for you in my blog.. Grab it..
http://www.nithyasnalabagam.com/2013/03/liebster-award.html

Anonymous said...

A great chicken recipe for special dinners. Thank you for sharing this recipe.