Sunday, May 26, 2013

Jackfruit Payasam or Chakka Pradaman

Jackfruit Payasam or chakka pradaman is one of the famous foods in Kerala, this is one of the food that I need to try for long time. In this past 6-7 years I haven’t seen fresh jackfruit here, last month my husband bought few pounds from a nearby Asian store. I saved 10 pieces for payasam, but the next day it vanished in minutes, yep that’s my kid’s favorite fruit. I didn’t think I will get fresh jackfruit again, in couple weeks I got again fresh fruit, this time don’t want to miss. Tried this jackfruit payasam and my kids loved this lot; it took me to childhood one my friends mom use to make this often.

 

Ingredients:


Jackfruit
10 – 15 medium size pieces
Jaggery
¾ cup
Coconut milk
¾ cup
Cashew nut
1 Tbsp
Coconut pieces
1 Tbsp
Ghee
1 Tbsp
 
 
 

 

Directions:

  1. Pressure cook jackfruit with little water until it’s soft.
  2. Cool it and grind to smooth paste. Mine yields one cup of puree.
  3. In a sauce pan, add jaggery and water (1/4 – 1/2 cup) and heat it until jaggery melts.
  4. Filter that to another thick bottomed pan, and start to cook once the jaggery starts to boil (no need to check any consistency), add jackfruit puree mix well and cook for another 5 minutes.
  5. Then add coconut milk mix well and cook for another 2 minutes turn off when it starts to boil.
  6. Heat ghee and roast cashew nut and coconut pieces add this to payasam.
 
Note:
  • After adding coconut milk, don’t cook to long, I used ½ cup thick and ¼ cup thin coconut milk.
  • If you feel your puree is very thick add ¼ cup hot water.
 
 
Kids delight
 
Indian sweets
 

7 comments:

Chef Mireille said...

since I made it, I now can tell exactly how it tastes. I'm sure it was as big a hit in your house too!

vaishali sabnani said...

I haven't used jack fruit in my cooking...of one of those phobias. The payasam looks cool.

Rafeeda AR said...

have never had this and unfortunately don't have any jackfruit to try this as well... should try out... looks yumm...

Priya Suresh said...

Authentic payasam, love that smooth and droolworthy consistency of the payasam.

Unknown said...

delicious and very authentic pradhaman.. Thanks for sending this yummy recipe to my event.. Looking for more yummy recipes... please add the link to Valli's page also (for kid's delight)

Sowmya
Event - Authentic Indian Sweets w giveaway
Event - Kid's delight - Sweet Treats
Event - WTML w giveaway

Srivalli said...

I love all jackfruit dishes....lovely colour..

The Pumpkin Farm said...

never tried jackfruit in kheer or payasam...would love to try